Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Friday 27 July 1945, Marks Hall

Margaret dearest,
                         I am fortunate enough to have two letters to acknowledge, written last Monday and Wednesday. Both record very high spirits, with heartburn diminuendo which pleases me greatly. Your account of a pleasant walk in the dusk with Irene [MF's sister] made me think for a moment that you could no longer face the open eye of day but I was reassured to hear of Grace's [a friend, already referred to in an earlier letter]  expression of wonder at your continued trimness!

                      The weather here broke last night with a rattling thunderstorm and today is much cooler. I hope you get some decent weather at Hillfoot so that you can find some benefit in the garden. You'll be able to have pleasant walks at the cooler periods of the day and laze about outside when it is warm. If there are any garden chairs, beware of the beastly things and see that they don't deposit you on the ground or nip off your fingers as they collapse.

                     The election result has I think astonished most people and the new P.M. more than anyone. The result will I think be popular in the Forces especially among the ranks. People holding numerous stocks and shares are very gloomy over the falling prices and I'm glad I have no money in coal mines or railways. The Labour Party has a great chance now to make its long-promised onslaught on monopolies and reactionary elements in heavy industry. I expect that the monied interests will try to engineer a financial crisis to discredit the new Govt. and a lot will depend on the speed with which it can get going.

                     The very heavy defeat of the Tories was I think due to Churchill's ridiculously vulgar election tactics and the antics of Beaverbrook. The Daily Express today makes amusing reading and I expect the Mail and other Tory rags are equally lugubrious.

                      For the consolation of your mother, your sisters, Mr Goodall and any other bereaved Tories, you can point out that the Labour members contain a much higher proposition of professional men and minor landed gentry than ever before so I don't suppose the tumbrils will be too busy just yet. Though Jean [another sister], with her ability to knit, talk and watch at the same time would spend many enjoyable hours at the guillotine.

                      Your family's intention of buying the pram is kindly but ridiculous and please don't entertain the idea.

                      I am suffering at the moment from an unpleasant corn due to tramping about in the heat. Do you think you could send me a box of these little oval gummed rings which we used to find rather relieving?

                     David is having an unpleasant time with woolly bears and Welsh nurses prowling about his underwear. I know which will be the most difficult to eradicate. The Stewarts seem to have a weakness for the Principality. How does your mother fancy a daughter-in-law from the Dowlahs? [sic: probably miss-spelling of Dowlais


                    I'm going to tea now so cheerio for the present. I'll try to phone on Sunday and hope I'm successful.

......

P.S. I enclose a cheque for telephone bill and cornpads. It may also pay for your taxi.

No comments:

Post a Comment